August 24-28, 2022. Emerald Sanctuary Bellydance Retreat in Washington State
For more information click here. Emerald Sanctuary Belly Dance Retreat is an annual belly dance retreat in the high desert of Central Washington, usually held the last weekend of August (before Labor Day). Regional and local instructors offer an exciting range of workshops for the beginner to the seasoned dancer. The retreat is a laid-back and relaxing experience amongst new and old friends. Between workshops there is plenty of free time to shop with our vendors, explore the rugged and beautiful landscape, cool off with a swim in one of several lakes, or take a nap on the lawn. We hope you join us this year and every year after.
September 2-4, 2022. Serpentine Dance Studios in Washington DC
To register click here Yasmin at Serpentine Dance Studios
Friday, 2 Sept, 2022
7:30 - 9:30 pm - Lecture and discussion: How to Put together a Full Show
Saturday, 3 Sept 2022
11:00 am - 1:30 pm - Shaabi
2:30 - 5:00 pm —Improvisation in Belly Dance. This class will bring out your creativity and inspiration through breaking down the structure of Arabic music and then building it back up again by layering movement on top. Learn how to portray the lyrical quality of Arabic music through your body.
8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Hafla - a low key performance opportunity at the studio where Leila will headline! Performers can have up to 10 minutes each.
Sunday, 4 Sept, 2022
11:00 - 1:30 pm - Saidi
2:30 - 5:00 pm - All Things Tabla Drum Solo
October 7-9, 2022. Go Live, Live Music Festival San Antonio, Texas
- For more information on Go Live click here. This is an amazing event sponsored by Karen Barbie all centered on live music and dance! Musicians will include the National Arab Orchestra, George Lammam, Susu Pampanin and many more. Leila will be teaching all her classes to live music. There are many opportunities to learn from amazing teachers who specialize in the dancer/musician experience:
- Methods of Improvisation - Michael Ibrahim, Isaac Lopez - with Karen Barbee
- Methods of Improvised Dance to Improvised Music - Karen Barbee, Michael Ibrahim, Isaac Lopez
- Lessons in Dancing to Live Music - the Egypt Experience - Leila Farid, Georges Lammam, Naser Musa, Susu Pampanin
- Somatic Movement Principles and Arab Instrumentation - Bahaia, musicians TBD
- Live Taqsim/Drum Solo Technique - Leila Farid, musicians TBD
July 2023. Mendicino Dance Camp in California *rescheduled due to Covid-19
A program covering a broad spectrum of music and dance traditions from this tremendously diverse geographical region. We urge you to take advantage of this opportunity and join us in a nurturing and informal environment.
- •Middle Eastern folk dance classes
- •Belly dance classes
- •Instruction on Middle Eastern classical and folk instruments
- •Parties with live music
- •Ensemble coaching, performances
- •Ethnic cuisine
Leila has taught workshops around the world (in over 33 countries) as well as founding, teaching and directing Camp Negum Live Music and Dance Camp in Egypt for 8 years. She also taught for many years in Egypt for both Nile Group and Ahlan Wa Sahlan and also private Egyptian and foreign students.
Contact Leila at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information